Startup Academy: Downloadable Press Release Template
By George Chilton, Creative Director of Hubbub Labs, a content and digital marketing agency based in Barcelona.
In our previous Startup Academy article we showed you how to write a press release. Due to popular demand, here is a downloadable template for general product launches and startup news. The Google Document can be viewed here: Downloadable Press Release Template.
Press release recap:
- Keep your releases short, sharp and to the point
- Lead with the most important information, add details as the press release progresses
- Don’t use jargon or media buzzwords, it is off-putting and unnecessary
- Don’t try to sell your product to the journalist, but do outline key features
- Tie your news into a current trend or story
- Make the most of your social proof (reputation) and link founders’ names to relevant professional profiles (e.g. LinkedIn)
- Ensure your service is clear and easy to understand and that you differentiate it from the competition
- Outline your company mission and make it compelling
- Use industry context to show where you fit in and why your company is important. Back up any claims with trustworthy links
- Use strong, media friendly quotes
- Put key company information in your About boilerplate
A quick note on reaching out to the media
Journalists have very little time to read and evaluate your news stories. Ensure that you are targeting the right reporter; each writer has a beat, or specialism, and they will ignore stories that fall outside of their remits. Also make sure that your pitch is personalised, and explains exactly why your story is important and of interest to them.
If you get traction, be prepared to make yourself available to interview and add further details. Journalists will do their own research, and often need more background from company leaders.
Read more about talking to journalists and pitching your press releases and articles to editors in George Chilton’s Entrepreneur Magazine article 5 Things Entrepreneurs Should Never Say to Journalists.
Before you go!
If you would like help writing a press release and pitching it to relevant media contacts the Hubbub Labs team is here to help.